If you are ready to lose weight, follow the top 10 weight loss tips I have listed below.
Remember, it is not about eating less, it is about eating more –– more healthy foods.
Over time, these will crowd out the bad foods and you will lose weight naturally.
1) Stay super hydrated. By staying super hydrated, your metabolism will stay at it's peak and you will burn more calories. Sports drinks, coffee, or milk products are not your friend and are not as good for you as other options. Instead drink more purified water, and add an ingredient to make the pure water alkalizing. You can add organic apple cider vinegar, or a squeeze of fresh lemon, or ph drops or green drink powder to your water. Carry this alkaline water with you and take sips throughout the day.
2) Eat lots and lots of fresh vegetables. Your new favorite color is green, the next is rainbow. As in the colors of the fresh vegetables and berries your body craves. There is no reason to limit food intake when you eat healthy foods. No dieting! Simply eat only fresh unprocessed food, not anything packaged, processed or genetically modified (GMO's). It you don't know how, that is no excuse. If you really want success, handle it, learn how. It's easier than you think and you can learn how to save time by preparing once for 2-4 meals.
3) Have fun and laugh, start a daily gratitude journal. Hormones play an important part role weight-gain and weight-loss. Stress from kids, work, new baby, spouse, etc all add up. It is important to reduce the stress hormone cortisol so it is important to schedule time for you, so you can do things you love and that make you laugh. Go for a walk, get a massage, schedule "you time" "fun time" in your life. Start an gratitude journal. Writing in a daily gratitude journal will improve your moods better than any anti-depressant medication. And it has no side effects.
4) Reduce your overall carbohydrate intake .Carbs make you gain weight because the high glycemic carbs trigger insulin and put your body in fat storage mode. As far as your body is concerned, all carbs are sugars and can trigger an insulin response that takes you out of fat burning mode and puts you into fat storage mode. Foods that are not your friend includes breads, pastas, vegan cookies, protein bars, fruit juices and other natural or vegan carb loaded food items that food seller's are trying to trick you into thinking are healthy. High fiber, nutrient dense carbs are ok and more should be eaten. This includes all green leafy vegetables, colorful vegetables like red bell peppers, berries like blueberries, blackberries and cherries. Berries make excellent snacks and are great in smoothies.
Add more protein (organic free range chicken, grass fed meats and wild caught salmon) and healthy organic fats to your diet (coconut oil, flax oil, olive oil).
5) Exercise, yes the E word but here's the good news, just make it fun. All you have to do is any activity on a regular basis where you breathe and reduce stress. That is why walking at the beach or in the park is the best exercise for many people. And yes sex counts, just don't lay there, participate. If you are 30 or more lbs overweight, you are already doing more work than the average person because you are carrying all that extra weight. Simply go for a daily walk. Any movement will help. Making it fun will make it a habit that you will crave.
6) Work with a trainer or coach. Every successful athlete has a coach, a trainer and other staff who keep them in top shape and performing at their best. You will also perform better with someone guiding you and cheering you on. It can actually save you money in the long-run because time is money and you will save time and see results much faster.
7) Set specific goals. You have to see it before it will happen. Want to loose 2 sizes around your waist, 16 lbs or more? Write it down and set a date. Most people can lose 1-2 lbs per week by eating healthier foods and walking daily. There will be a point where your weight loss seams to stop or slow. This can be due to building more muscle which is heavier than fat. At this time it will be best to use how your jeans fit to measure success rather than just the scale because you will continue to get thinner even though your weight does not change.
8) Keep a food journal of everything you eat and drink. Many of my clients come to me with food amnesia. What that means is that they remember all of the good stuff and forget all the bad stuff they ate all week. A food journal will help you see what your real food intake is. Keep it simple. counting calories is NOT important. Calories are not important. Show me someone who is counting calories and you will discover that person will succeed in the short run but fail in the long run because what they are doing is stressful and not sustainable. You have to learn to think like a chemist not an accountant. Your food affects your genes and your hormones, and this affects how your calories get burned for energy or stored as fat. Calories are secondary and should not be the focus.
9) Avoid foods that you are sensitive to or addicted to. Most people have food sensitivities and don't even know about them. The most common offenders are processed dairy, wheat, corn, soy, canola, chemical additives, preservatives and sugar substitutes in diet foods. There are blood tests to check you for food sensitivities. Sugar is the most common food addition. It is part of all carbohydrates and it feeds the unhealthy yeast and bacteria in our gut. Caffeine in coffee and soft drinks is the next most common addiction. Most people don't realize it but they are addicts. Don't believe me, stop taking these carb loaded foods and caffeine drinks for 2 weeks and see how you experience withdrawal symptoms. I had to go though it and my patients did too. It is like getting off of hard drugs. That is why it is a good idea to work with a coach or a support group; to help guide you through the withdrawal process.
10) Love yourself. Look in the mirror and list all of the things that you don't love about you and your body. Then look in the mirror and list all of the things you love about you and your body. Hmmm... why is that first list so long. Weight loss is not just about what we eat but "what is eating us". If that first list is longer than the second and much easier to write than the first, hire a coach. There is more to this than just diet and exercise. Find someone you can trust and to help you get those lists in balance.
There are many more tips but this top ten list will get you off to an excellent start. And remember, it would be my pleasure to help you. I have been in your shoes. Put my experience to work for you so you can achieve your weight loss goals. And even if you don't use my services, please drop me a note and let me know how these tips have helped you.
BY PRIVATE APPOINTMENT ONLY:
Monday - Friday: 11:15 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday: 11:15 - 3:00 PM
We Accept Cash, Checks, VISA and Health Savings Account Debit Cards
Copyright 2011 BODY IN BALANCE WELLNESS CENTER
Body In Balance Wellness Center
1815 Parker Ave
West Palm Beach, FL 33401